Thursday, May 14, 2015

2015-3-8

FAAAAMMMIIILLLLYYY!!!

Okay haha let me just tell you what I ate last week. (weird way to start off an email) 

So we were at one of our member's house. This is the old grandma I have told you about. 임복심 she is thee funniest old person. She feeds us very traditional Korean food. And as we are eating a whole bunch of food her and Sister Stastny started talking about Sting Rays. Sister Stastny had heard that they smell like pee and she wanted to know, so 임복심 pulls out of her fridge this frozen Sting Ray meat. She smelt it and there wasn't a smell so being a nice old grandma she wanted us to feed this to us too. She throws it in the microwave and within seconds, as it is heating, you could smell it. It smelt like ammonia. Like it was the strongest smell I have smelt here. She also grabs out of the fridge some HOT sauce to dip it in. So being Korean she takes one of these raw fermented drenches it in this sauce and throws it in her mouth like NBD. So Sister Stastny was like yeah I want to do that. So she does it first and she didn't mind it but she said it stung... then Sister Nebeker tries it and her face said it all. She did not like it, She looks at me and says, " I can't feel my tongue." haha I was terrified. They both looked at 임복심 and said "맛어요!" So then the Grandma looks at me and tell me to eat it. If a Korean tell you to eat something, it is really respectful to eat it. So I took the sting ray dunked it in some sauce and ate it. AHHH it seriously stings. The smells goes throughout your whole body. Like I really just at raw poisonous fermented sting ray and I did not like it. Here in Korea Sting Rays are super expensive and no one really likes them except the older generation, so we took our last opportunity to eat it and I hope it is the last. haha It was fun. So we had so much food and the member then gave us rice. Rice is soooo filling and you have to eat it all. Which I usually can. But I couldn't finish it. When she was watching her Korean Drama I rolled it in a ball and hid it in my clothes. I didn't want to offend her and I really wanted to eat it all so that was the last option I knew to do. #lifeinKorea

So yeah Korea is amazing. My Korean on the other hand is getting better but I am not even close to being fluent. I can understand maybe 30% now. That's a lot for me. 

. But I am teaching about 40-50% of lessons now so that is really good. Don't be surprised when I come home and I still don't know Korean. It is hard.

Scripture of the week:
 31 And now, O my son, ye are called of God to preach the word unto this people. And now, my son, go thy way,declare the word with truth and soberness, that thou mayest bring souls unto repentance, that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them. And may God grant unto you even according to my words. Amen.

I know when we are MEMBER MISSIONARIES we are blessed.
 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ.

I love and miss you all sooo much! I pray for you daily!! Be safe and do God's work!

LOVE
Sister Leavitt

































No comments: